Since we now live in a highly technologically-advanced world, it’s pretty important to keep up to date with our technological devices. While it’s a good idea to replace them once they stop working, it’s an even better idea to do so in an effective manner that doesn’t do any additional harm to our planet.
Here are a few (if not somewhat surprising) facts regarding electronic waste:
- 80 to 85% of electronic products have been discarded in landfills or incinerators, which can release certain toxics into the air.
- E-waste represents 2% of America’s trash in landfills, but equals 70% of overall toxic waste. The extreme amount of lead in electronics alone causes damage in the central and peripheral nervous systems, the blood and the kidneys.
- 20 to 50 million metric tons of electronics are disposed of worldwide every year.
- Recycling 1 million laptops saves the energy equivalent to the electricity used by 3,657 U.S. homes in a year.
- It takes 539 pounds of fossil fuel, 48 pounds of chemicals, and 1.5 tons of water to manufacture one computer and monitor.
- So, when you have an old electronics that you’re ready to get rid of, remember to call Junk Genius and our licensed professionals will safely and satisfactorily handle your unwanted electronics removal in an environmentally safe manner.